Thursday, January 15, 2009

don't cry over spilled paint...just laugh

today i managed to spill about a quart of white paint all over my hands, my jeans, my converse sneakers, the drop cloth, and an easel. 

i don't know how many times i have reminded myself to make sure that the top of a paint can is fastened securely before i just go ahead and give it a shake. well, today i forgot. 

i was working on 3 projects at once and was a bit distracted. i had music blasting in my studio and i was in my groove. when i'm painting sometimes i have  so many ideas that are speeding around in my head so fast i can barely keep up. i was shifting gears from one painting to another. i wanted to add some paint splatter to one of the paintings so i quickly grabbed a can off the shelf in my right hand. i no more than took the can in my hands and gave it a quick side to side shake and SPLOOPSHGLUGSPLOT! the lid came off and out flew white house paint all over! 

it was like a slow motion scene from a comedy movie. in fact, those of you who know me...can you just picture me there in my studio juggling with white paint that's flying in the air? pretty darn funny! 

luckily i didn't get the paint on anything important, like the finished paintings that were sitting about the studio. 

it was water based paint, so it was a bit easier to clean up than if it had been oil based. but initially all i could do was stand there with paint dripping off of me and laugh. many of my abstract paintings are created by me utilizing paint splatter to enhance texture and give things a certain look to enhance the visual experience. but this was no paint splatter...this was a mess!

unfortunately i was all alone in my art studio...so no one got to share the hysterically funny moment with me. it took me a few minutes to figure out how best to go about the clean up process...meanwhile my legs were getting cold from the paint soaking into my jeans. i should've gotten pictures of the silly scene...but being that my hands were covered in wet paint i chose not to reach for the camera. 

i can't tell ya how many times i've done silly things like what i did today...but take my word...don't cry over spilled paint...just laugh. art is supposed to be fun...and if we don't take the time to laugh at ourselves once in awhile...we're livin life too seriously. 


No comments: