Monday, September 26, 2011

Mural Action

I was commissioned to paint a wall mural of Jack Bauer from the tv series "24". The mural is roughly 4ft x 6ft. This was a fun mural to create. I've been a fan of the tv show for years, so I was easily able to connect with it myself. The mural is located in a teenagers' bedroom (the same room I painted the Edward Cullen mural).

I projected the image upon the wall with an opaque art projector and then traced it with chalk. This gave me a rough outline to work with. Then I "sketched" over the chalk with black paint onto the wall. When I say "sketch" that is what I mean...I approached it as if it were a sketch by painting in lines and then shading (of course with black latex house paint). Then I applied the colors. I worked on the background first applying the dark colors first and then muting them with lighter colors. Then I worked on the front taxi and the number 24. Lastly I did Jack himself.

I've learned a lot over the last few weeks as I've been creating back to back to back wall murals for clients. The main thing I've learned is that I really love painting large scale. The bigger the canvas, the more excited I get. I can't wait for my next mural adventure. The world is my canvas!!!

No comments: