Sunday, August 21, 2016

Grace Poured Out

photo by Samantha Tucker
 Earlier this week a family member of mine died and the members of local singer/song-writer folk band Credenda reached out to me to offer an experience of relaxation and contemplation during a time of grief for me. This weekend I had the incredible honor of being invited to join a private recording session/barn concert with them. "We want you to come and enjoy yourself and relax and have a good time." So out of their invitation to give myself the space to process in an atmosphere of community, creativity, and love, I was able to come along side them and paint live (creating a painting during their concert) while they created their music live. 

The barn was located in Eagle, Idaho on a property in the country. It added a very rustic hipster/kinfolk feel to the atmosphere. 
Credenda is:
Barbara Brution-Keyboard/Vocals/Songwriter; Daniel Bruton-Guitar/Bass/Cajon/Songwriter/Vocals; Anna Bruton-Guitar/Vocals/Keyboard/Cajon/Songwriter; Catherine Bruton-Vocals/Cajon/Tamborine. And for this concert they were joined by Chris White on drums and on bass.  

The audience was made up of friends from around the Treasure Valley coming to support the heart behind the original music that Credenda writes.
photo by Casey Allen
 The night started off with musician Steve Brown of the band Raketooth singing some of his original songs. 
photo by Cat Bruton
Then Credenda played and I painted. 

I absolutely loved collaborating with these musicians. Their music is full of depth, writing about real life, balancing hardships with hope. It was easy to paint to. Not only was I able to feel the pain and the joy of their songs, I was able to feel and process my own emotions as I painted. 

For me, painting live with a band is all about listening...listening to the music, to the lyrics, to the hearts of the musicians, to the energy of the audience, to what the paint is saying, to the resounding heartbeat of God guiding each of us in the moment, and to my own heart as I experience it all together. 

I started with a blank canvas and let their music inspire and guide my brushwork. It was truly a fun experience to work this way with them. 

Here is a short video taken during the performance to give you a taste of the vibe we had going on in that barn...

 photo by Cat Bruton
What a fun night collaborating with all these amazing people! 

At the end of the night, I knew that the painting was to be given to the band as a thank you. They had given me such a gift by inviting me in to their private show during a difficult time for me emotionally and it allowed me to be who I am, to do what I love to do. Just this simple act filled me with joy and peace and helped my heart tremendously. It was like grace poured out. 
Thank you Credenda!

Check out more from Credenda on their Facebook page:

"Grace Poured Out"
24x30 acrylic abstract expressionist painting on canvas
c. 2016 Lisa Marten
painting live for Credenda
SaveSave

No comments: