Thursday, September 4, 2014

Painting Self Portraits

photo taken of me while i created one of my self portraits 
photo credit:  Chad Estes of Starry Night Media

A common task for artists is to paint their self portrait (sometimes several times within a lifetime). Though I've been creative all my life, I didn't actually try to paint my self portrait until recent years. It's been quite a challenge but I've approached it so differently than most artists. I'm in the process of painting the 3rd painting in my self portrait series. Yes, 3rd painting. Each has been an artistic process that has included an inner journey and transformation over the last 5 years to step into the new names given to me by God and by doing so live from them. It's been a goal more about understanding and truly being who I am and painting that, than painting how I actually look physically. The first is "Warrior Painter" (the intercessor and worshipper in me that enters into the battle through creativity). The second is "Dancing Child" (the uninhibited and free in me filled with wonder and awe that dances with joy because of trust amidst the storms of life). The third (that I'm currently working on) is "Favored Queen" (the chosen in me that bravely approaches the feat with confidence and intention for such a time as this). Once I'm finished I will post photos.

No comments: