Thursday, January 14, 2010

Teaching Pollock

Jackson Pollock

It's no surprise (if you know me personally or if you have been reading this blog) that I am inspired by American Abstract Expressionist Painter Jackson Pollock (1912-1956). His drip & splatter painting techniques have been an influence in my abstract expressionist collage paintings. People have their opinions about this kind of art. Some say "my 4 year old could do that!" and they scoff at the thousands of dollars valued on abstract paintings of this form. What they don't "get" or "value" is that splatter paintings are actually harder to create than they think. It is so much more than dripping paint onto canvas...it's about the ability to connect with the painting and express from within what the artist is feeling. It's about telling a story that can reach anyone at anytime through the heart if they would only have eyes to see and ears to hear.


"Convergence" c.1952 Jackson Pollock
Jackson is quoted to say:
"My painting does not come from the easel. I prefer to tack the unstretched canvas to the hard wall or the floor. I need the resistance of a hard surface. On the floor I am more at ease. I feel nearer, more part of the painting, since this way I can walk around it, work from the four sides and literally be in the painting. When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It is only after a sort of 'get acquainted' period that I see what I have been about. I have no fear of making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through. It is only when I lose contact with the painting that the result is a mess. Otherwise there is pure harmony, an easy give and take, and the painting comes out well."


It was January of 2005 when I took my first plunge into expressionism. Some friends gave me the use of their basement for a day to fling the paint and give it a go. I was hooked from the moment I let the first bit of colorful paint fly.
I found an amazing sense of freedom within as I experimented with various house paints to create several abstracts with the drippling and splattering techniques that Pollock perfected.

Since that first basement experience I have perfected my own style with abstract expressionism, utilizing Pollock's techniques as an enhancement to what I create. I can understand what Pollock was talking about regarding being IN the painting. It's like the painting has a story to tell and I'm the interpreter.
"Sweetly Broken" c.2007 Lisa Marten
I have had the opportunity to teach 3 abstract expressionist workshops to adults and teens since 2005 and each time has been a fun and invigorating experience. And now for a 4th time...I was recently asked to be a guest speaker/teacher for an art class taught at the Home School Co-Op at Vineyard Boise. I got to teach 2 days about Jackson Pollock and give a class of Jr. High youth a chance to create some splatter paintings of their own. It was really cool to watch them go from being disengaged & apathetic as youth, to really having fun and getting into the paint and engaging with what they were creating. I love it when I see that transformation take place.







Not everyone is a fan...and that's okay. And yes, Jackson was no saint. But I'm thankful for artists like Jackson Pollock...hearts that cry out through their creativity and speak to us to wake up & look at our own hearts...to be who we were meant to be. We need hearts like that in this world!

No comments: