Friday, April 4, 2014

First Thursday Downtown Boise



Like many cities, Boise has an event that takes place once a month in it's downtown area that features  the artistic culture of the city. Many art galleries, restaurants, and businesses stay open past normal business hours to invite the public in for an evening of art, music, food & drink, and a chance to get to know the one another a little better. 

For Boise this event takes place the First Thursday of each month. From 5pm-9pm anywhere from the Boise Art Museum to The Linen District, from BODO to Freak Alley...the public is welcome to take part in Boise's downtown life, join in the art walk, and enter into the cultural conversation. 

Over the years I have frequented First Thursday (on my own, with groups of friends and fellow artists, and by being a featured artist somewhere). I've been able to meet lots of interesting people, view tons of incredible art, hear loads of really good music, and experience heaps of great memories.

Last night was First Thursday and once again I found myself meandering through the city streets, weaving in and out of galleries, and embracing those moments of connection with people. 

One stop was at The ArtSource Gallery on Main.
The ArtSource is a co-op of local artists and its always been a place to check out some great paintings, photography, pottery, jewelry, and any other kind of medium it's members shine through.

 Debi Bonsack has some of her acrylic paintings on display at ArtSource. While I was looking at them, a man joined me in the viewing. Seconds later he couldn't help but respond out loud to me about how much he loved her use of the small box canvas, allowing the subject to pop out and take center stage. I thought that was a wonderful observation on his part and a great compliment to the artist. 

Later I went into the Alaska Building on Main and found a treasure. Artist Chi E Shenam Westin was showing his oil paintings. I met Chi last summer when I was doing the Meridian Arts Festival at Storey Park along with last fall at Art in the Bar at The Knitting Factory (my performance art company Marten Evergreen was performing at both, and I was sharing an art booth with Lukas Evergreen). Chi has a variety of styles that he paints. Some of my favorites are his colorful landscapes that he paints on metal. 

Boise has a program called AIR (Artists In Residence) giving artists studio/gallery space downtown for 3 months where they can work and create. I also know other cities that have this kind of program. It's a wonderful way to help artists truly become a part of the city culture. A treat for me...friends of mine, artists Lisa Cheney and Lauren Kistner have been sharing a studio space with AIR so it made for way to connect with both of them at the same time. Lisa an amazing artist who creates mixed media paintings and teaches visual journaling. Lauren is an incredible abstract artist who utilizes line, color, and texture in her mixed media paintings. 

There is so much going on during First Thursdays in Boise, you never know who you'll meet, what you'll see, and where the fun will be.  
Click here to keep updated: FIRST THURSDAY BOISE

Next month First Thursday May 1st you won't want to miss:
1314 W. Grove St., Boise
May 1, 5pm-10pm 
Art at the Modern is an annual cultural experience not to be missed! 

No comments: