Thursday, August 6, 2009

Painting During Worship

These photos were taken this last Sunday morning. Myself and the Director of VineArts were able to join in as part of the worship team on the stage for the morning services at the Boise Vineyard. Along with the band, we helped to lead the congregation in the worship of God by painting inspiring words and colors onto the backdrop painting. Together we painted side by side.
The thought of creating art as being a viable way to worship God can be somewhat of a foreign concept to many people (regardless of if they're followers of Christ or not). I believe the words of Romans 12:1 in the Bible "So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life---your sleeping, eating, going to work, and walking around life---and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing to do for him." I believe that God placed creativity in each of us (and just as we are all uniquely different in who we are individually...that creativity will look and feel different for each person). Art is one way that many of us are able to express who we are deep down. Just as the singers sing their songs, the musicians play their instruments, the speakers speak their words, the dancers dance their movements...the artists create their art. I believe God wants us to worship him no matter where we are or what we are doing.
What is worship anyways? What does it mean to worship God? Good questions.
Thankfulness. Praise. Gratitude. Awe. Wonder. Joy. Peace. Hope. Love.
Perhaps we should chew on the Bible verses in Philippians 4:8-9 "Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious---the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned, what you heard, and what you saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies."
It's all about the SONG.
I've posted before about the performance painting I have done in music venues downtown Boise. It's no different to me whether I'm painting in a church or painting in a club (and I don't believe it makes much difference to God either). It's no difference to me whether I'm painting a landscape in oils or an abstract in mixed media. And it certainly makes no difference whether I am painting a "religious" scene or not. I paint because it's what I was made to do. I paint from heart. And I worship when I paint because it's what I'm compelled to do.
Deep thought: Next time you do that thing you do (whatever that is)...consider for a moment...could you offer it up as worship to God? What would that mean to you? Would you be okay with that? Does it change you at all inside when you do? It's just something to think about.





photos taken by R.H.

No comments: