Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Coffee + Art + Music + Community = LOVE Poured Out

 And this is my prayer for you...that you will not only love much, but love well. These are words I dedicate my life to live by. 

Last night was my art opening at The Coffee Studio in Meridian, Idaho. 
I'm the featured artist for August. I have installed 7 mixed media paintings on cardboard along with revealing a new 12 piece mixed media series on wood. 
I love opportunities like this (being featured in a local establishment)...because I get to invite others to come alongside me to also be featured. I'm a firm believer that I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for so many others who have helped me, encouraged me, mentored me, challenged me, and promoted me along the way. And so it is my belief that any chance I get I want to do the same for others...however that can look. 
And in this instance it was a chance to have some local musicians featured, some young people invited in to play, and so many others to be thanked and loved on. 

Here are the paintings I have exhibited for the month of August...
 "Enter the Storm" 
14x30 acrylic on foam core
this piece is about allowing oneself to embrace the storms of life instead of running from them

 "Fill Me Up", "Sing Over Me", "Rain Down On Me"
each 24x30 mixed media on cardboard
these 3 paintings are all about being open for more 

 "All Things New"
24x30 mixed media on cardboard
this painting is about the chance to start over fresh

 "Surfing the Koru"
24x30 mixed media on cardboard
this piece was inspired by my trip to New Zealand in 2011
it's about embracing new beginnings

 "Open Heart" 
24x30 mixed media on cardboard
this painting is about trusting love

 "Hope"
24x30 mixed media on cardboard
this piece is about believing that there is something to hold on to

"There and Back Again: An Heart's Journey to Love Much and Love Well"
this 12 piece series is a story of the journey of a heart through life (as told through tiny paintings & written statements). it's meant to allow the viewer to interact & engage with each "station" as a personal journey, to reflect upon one's own life and enter into the story wherever the viewer connects. at the end the viewer is encouraged to take a pebble or a tiny shell with them as a token of remembrance of their heart's journey.

 the intro piece, stations 1-5

 station 6

stations 7-12

I was so blessed by the turn out of folks who came to the opening. I thrive on interaction with people. I love relationship. It warms my heart to have a room filled with old friends, new friends, and those who will soon be friends...all connecting and conversing and communing with each other. The combination of a great coffee house, delicious drink and food, an engaging art exhibit, live music, and loads of conversations going on is such the perfect atmosphere, in my opinion. 

After viewing the art exhibit, the crowd gathered to listen to the live music and watch me paint.

 Singer/songwriter Janet Lund opened and closed the evening with her original songs (many had an emphasis on friendship and coffee, which delightfully connected into the theme of the night)

 Singer Molly Ellis sang songs we all enjoyed while I painted live. Molly's voice captured all who were present and I found myself singing along as I painted. During her set she invited 3 young girls to come up and sing a song together. The trio stunned us all with their young talent and I was reminded of how important it is to pass on things to the next generation and invite them to be an active part of what we're doing today. 

 Shortly after the young ones sang, one of them came over to me to engage in conversation with me about my painting. I invited her to join me in painting. She gladly chose a brush and went to work on a piece of her own using bright colors I had already chosen on my pallet. It was a beautiful picture as we both were creating side by side to Molly singing in the background. 

Here is the painting I created live. 
"Pour Out Love" 
24x30 mixed media on cardboard

I specifically created this painting with the owners of The Coffee Studio in mind. It was a gift to them for having such open hearts to invite local artists and musicians (like myself and those who joined me tonight) to be featured each month in their shop. The Coffee Studio is locally owned and involved. They truly are people who are pouring out love to their community one cup at a time. 

Thank you all.

No comments: