Friday, August 2, 2013

Painting Live in a Windstorm

Last night was First Thursday in Boise. It happens every month. Many establishments stay open later to promote business downtown. Art galleries have big opening receptions for art exhibits. Live music can be heard from  venues throughout the city streets. It's a great event to grab some friends and experience some fun downtown.

 I was a part of 10 Barrel Brewing's art event in their parking lot. They roped the parking lot off and created their own beer garden. Accompanied by live music, several local artists were asked to set up to display and sell art and paint live while customers were invited to hang out and enjoy.
 I really enjoy being able to paint live (whether it's during a church service as part of creative worship, or for a big art event with my performance art company, or like last night where I was able to paint and also talk to the public)
 I don't often get the chance to be a part of events where there are other live painters. This was a treat for me last night to not be the only one! I enjoyed getting to watch the other artists create live.
 During the evening I had several friends and 10 Barrel customers stop by to say hello and check out what I was painting. I was working on primed cardboard. I glued another one of my paintings onto it (of the Boise River) that had been painted on canvas. Then I glued on pages of printed words throughout the background. And then using acrylic paints I layered color and texture to bring it all together as one painting.
 And then the wind hit! WHOOSH! We got a huge gust of wind that swept through the parking lot alley. It was part of a large windstorm that suddenly blew into the Treasure Valley. This photo wasn't staged. I really was holding down my paintings and easels from blowing away. Canvases were like sails. My neighbors table took flight and blew into my easel. Artists and others throughout the alley were rushing to save artwork, chairs, tables, and everything else that was crashing down and whipping up into the sky. In a matter of moments our little event came to a halt. And in the midst of the chaos, my friends and I were laughing! It was so crazy funny! Truly...it was quite a sight! I'm very thankful to those who stayed to help me keep things from blowing away and then helped me pack up everything to my car.
 So after things got packed up (and yes, all artists packed up quickly and the musician left, and the guys tending the beer kegs closed down) we took the party inside 10 Barrel! They really do have great food and drink! I love my friends...thanks guys for helping to make my night memorable! 
Here's the finished painting that I was creating live last night. I had completed most of it before the wind hit. I added the splatter once I got home...if I had done that at the event the paint would've made it everywhere but the canvas! 
I love being an artist! Life is such a crazy adventure! 

No comments: