Monday, December 19, 2011

2011: a year of travels, art ministry, live painting, and new beginnings

2011 has been a year full of rich experiences including travels, connections in art ministry, painting live, and realizations of new beginnings. I’m looking forward to 2012!

No matter where I seem to go in this world I am led to be who I am: an art minister with a heart to connect with others through art.

Travels

my journey to middle earth:
In February I left the frigid temperatures of Idaho and traveled to the balmy beaches of North Island, New Zealand where I stayed with friends in the surfing village of Raglan on the west coast. Little did I know when I began to plan the trip 3 years ago how important the journey was going to be to my heart, to my soul, to my spirit, to my creativity. 

Although I grew up on the beaches of Hawaii, this year I got to try something I’d never done before...I got to go surfing! And not only did I get to go surfing, I got to go surfing at one of the top surfing beaches in the world! Raglan Beach, New Zealand! Thank you Tash for loaning me your board and for the pointers! I loved the feeling of riding those waves! Next time...I’m gonna actually get up on that board! Hahaha!!!



Some of the things I got to do in New Zealand involved a journey to Middle Earth & visit to  the actual site of Hobbiton; a drive to Rotorua (a geo-thermal area); an authentic Maori tribal dance experience; surfing, sunning, & running on beaches; trekking through the bush & hiking to waterfalls; a visit to Narnia and the actual beach of entry; and  connecting with artists and art ministers.


STATESIDE:


Laity Lodge.Kerrville, Texas
Retreat for Pastors & Ministers to artists:

In May I had the fun opportunity to travel to the third annual Retreat for Pastors & Ministers to Artists held at Laity Lodge in Kerrville, Texas. Speakers David Taylor & Frederica Green & Singer/Songwriter/Musician Brooke Waggoner & Artists Phaedra Taylor & Shannon Newby shared their hearts & talents with us.  I traveled with 3 other art ministers from our VineArts Leadership team at Boise Vineyard. This was my second retreat to attend and it truly felt like coming home as we reconnected with art ministers we had met last year from all over the States & the world. This year I had the chance to meet many new art ministers and enjoyed the heart to heart conversations & fellowship. Art ministry can look very different within  various Christian denominations, churches, universities, communities, and work places...but regardless of our differences, we all share one faith in God and one heart to connect with artists  & creative hearts. And we desire to see the creative process of making art valued & expressed within our world and we recognize that we can learn from each other. These people are a part of my “tribe”!


Biola University.Los Angeles, CA
CIVA Conference:
In June I traveled to Los Angeles, California to attend the biannual conference for CIVA (Christians In the Visual Arts). It was my first time attending a CIVA conference (though CIVA has existed since the 80’s). I had the wonderful privilege of traveling to the conference with our Director of VineArts, Jessie Nilo where we also met up with New Renaissance Founder/Author/Pastor/Artist J.Scott McElroy. Jessie & Scott were both on the list of speakers in the breakout sessions of the conference. The conference is held to gather professional artists who are Christians from around the States & the world to dialogue about  the very unique position we all hold in this world….to be leaders & make a difference in our world & communities (whether that’s the marketplace, entertainment media, universities, research, cities, churches, etc.) through the talents we have been given. As I sat in on the sessions & conversed with artists throughout the conference I found myself inspired, encouraged, and honored to be counted amidst such talented & quality people!
Seattle, Wa:
In August I took a trip back to my old home city of Seattle. It was a chance to reconnect with old friends who I hadn’t seen in years (some of whom I hadn’t seen since college graduation 19 years ago!), hang out and enjoy the things I love about the city and have conversation with emerging artists.  One of the highlights for me of the trip was a spontaneous opportunity to view a very special art exhibit at St. Mark’s Episcopal Cathedral. It was an international traveling art exhibit that was displayed throughout the sanctuary and side chapel. "icons in transformation" by artist Ludmila Pawlowska was an absolute inspiration to interact with in such a beautiful setting. I was personally encouraged and inspired through the art and found myself wiping away tears as I connected with many of the pieces. Ludmila's expression of the ancient artform of iconography, through mixed media abstract paintings and sculptures, gave the modern worshipper a fresh perspective to connect with the Divine through contemplative prayer and art. And speaking of contemplative prayer & art...this year I’ve been a part of two small groups & an on-line community that have taught me the beautiful ancient prayer forms & it has enriched my prayer life!
Austin, Texas:

In November I flew to Austin, Texas for the first time. I went  to visit friends and experience the music & art of the  City of Music. Like the trip to Seattle, I went to reconnect with old friends and found myself encouraged by the connections with artists that I happened upon and inspired by the art exhibits I was able to take in and experience. I visited the Blanton Art Museum and had the amazing honor of seeing an international traveling art exhibit by  Nigerian artist El Anatsui. I fell in love with his work and was moved & inspired by his art. "With over 60 works installed from his "When I Last Wrote to You About Africa" exhibit. From early wood trays and ceramics, to rare drawings and paintings, to sculptures made from driftwood, to his most recent luminous metal wall hangings [like the photo below] the exhibition traces connections among global, local, and personal histories, and shows how, through transforming materials once overlooked or discarded, El Anatsui seeks to find meaning in the power of culture and memory." I also had the chance to visit several churches in the Austin area and connected with art ministers with thriving art ministries. And I experienced the Austin Studio Tours where I got to tour several local artists studio spaces & talk to them about their art & creative processes. Austin was FULL of cool art & music and I barely touched the surface while I was there!!!
 
“We get to PAINT on people’s lives.”
~Dean Estes, Artist & Art Minister

Painting Live: In Churches
CLF in March:

In March I traveled to Ontario, Oregon with a team of artists from VineArts. We joined with the church, Christian Life Fellowship, for their monthly Worship Night.  Three of our team painted live to the worship music during the service. This was a fun & exciting night to be a part of. CLF has a thriving art ministry led by Art Director Jen Rold (who is originally from VineArts at Boise Vineyard).
CLF in May:

In May I was able to travel once again to Ontario, Oregon with a team of artists from VineArts. We very happily joined up with the church, Christian Life Fellowship for their monthly Worship Night. Three of our team painted live to the worship music during the service (one of our team included a young artist from CLF to join her). We were also joined by a hip hop dance troop that performed too! 
 

Art & Worship Events
“Everyone gets to PLAY.”
~Jessie Nilo, Artist/Art Minister & Director of VineArts
Discipleship Group:


One of the things I absolutely love to do is help facilitate Art & Worship events for groups small & large. There something so cool about watching people who don’t normally think of themselves as artists, stand side by side & create something together as a way of worshipping God. In July I partnered with VineArts Leader Dean Estes & we worked together to bring the special experience to a small group of 20 somethings who desired to experience a creative way to connect with God and with each other.
Youth Group:
In October I joined with several VineArts Leaders to help facilitate an Art & Worship event for the youth of Boise Vineyard Church. This was a large group of about 60 youth all painting side by side on canvases, in small groups on the floor and on tables. It was a creative way to express to God their love through color and words and the act of creating in community. I really do enjoy these kinds of events as I get to watch people (young & old) connect to God in a deeper way through art.

Painting Live: On the Streets
ART IN THE BAR IV: The Knitting Factory, Boise:


In October I partnered with performing artist, Luke Schafer & singer/musician Naomi Psalm to perform live at Art in the Bar IV in downtown Boise. It’s a quarterly happening that joins over 40 local artists & performers together under one roof in a bar to bring our talents to the public for free. My artist partners & I meshed our talents of painting, dance, & music to create two choreographed performances for all those who attended.  It was very well received and I had a blast!
DIA DE LOS MUERTOS: Freak Alley, Boise

In November I once again partnered with performing artist Luke Schafer (along with two other performers, Krysta Nebeker & Jeremy Busack) in a choreographed performance of painting, dance, music, & drama for the Dia De Los Muertos Festival in downtown Boise. We  performed in Freak Alley (a large colorfully mural painted alley way between buildings that has been dedicated to the arts of the city). Once again, the performance was well received and word is getting out about us!!!
NEW BEGINNINGS
 
“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Who shall I send and who will go for us?” and I said, ”Here am I. Send me.”~Isaiah 6:8


When I was in New Zealand I was drawn to the Maori artwork of the Koru symbol (the swirl you see above). It’s meaning is “new beginnings”. It reminds me of a wave bringing curling with power, it reminds me of the ancient prayer tool of the labyrinth swirling peace to the center. It, partnered with many other things, began to speak to me about my life and the direction of my life’s work through art & ministry. Throughout my time in New Zealand I came upon the symbol several times and even found myself wearing it around my neck. The symbol has become a reminder to me that God is stirring new things within me and doing new things through me as I set my face towards God’s face to go wherever He sends me, to utilize my talents, and to love people in new & creative ways. I’m an artist, a lover of life, an art minister, a warrior painter, a dancing child, a worshipper of God,  I’m all about relationship. This artist knows the beauty of allowing everyone to play & partnering with God to paint on people’s lives. I’m riding the waves into new beginnings.
Stay tuned for another newsletter update titled: Traveling Artist.
“this is my prayer for you that you will not only love much but well.”
~Philippians 1:9


2 comments:

Chad Estes said...

What an amazing year!!!

amokarts said...

And don't forget you got to meet me, lol. Seriously, it looks like a great year. Looking forward to hearing your adventures in 2012. God bless,
Dave